Monday, December 28, 2009

Urbana09 Report Days 0-1




It hasn't felt like three years since the last Urbana Student Missions Conference. A lot has happened to me since then. It's happened so fast I haven't had time to catch my breath.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about go to http://urbana09.org or follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23Urbana09

There are over 17,000 of us here.


Yesterday was a perfect day. I spent Christmas at my sister's and her kids are getting big. The day before Urbana started, I headed for the America's Center to help set up the IV Press bookstore. This mainly entailed throwing boxes packed with books off of a pallet onto a dolley then to a table in order of the big numbers written on it. Sounds exciting, I know it does. I found myself working with much higher spirits than I have at my own jobs for a long time.

Afterward we went through formalities then I met up with Joe for a walk through the city garden at night, then we hit the Schafly taproom. After a long day of preparation, beer, burgers, and friends was the perfect ending.

I've been assigned as a hotel liaison which I basically hang around and answer questions the Urbana participants may have as well as make sure they eat and get on their bus, and get back.

I've found myself in the nicest room I've ever stayed in at the Renaissance airport hotel, though I haven't been in it much to enjoy it.

I woke up to see the fallen snow cover the city.



I spent today hanging out in the lobby welcoming people who came in and telling them where to go, what to do, how to get there. I got little opportunities to serve people who though I wasn't assigned to serve, still did, such as giving hot chocolate to cold travelers, and making conversation to people as they waited.

This evening was the main session. The theme and text are taken from John 1:14, "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

We were told this verse contains the means, the message, and the model by which we are to take the Gospel into the world. There was a great illustration of how Father Simon would reach people. He built his church over a former garbage dump. He went to the pig sties where the people he was trying to reach would hide from him. He'd get in there, sinking his boots into the filth. He lit a torch, searching for them as they hid. Once he found them, he would take them by the hand and kiss their hand and their head, and if after all that they would still reject them, he'd put shoes on their feet.

Let's not be afraid to walk through the mud.

Jim Trebbe, Urbana president told us, "Let go of your expectations and let God be God."

That having been said, I'm excited for tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment