Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Into the Middle of the Storm, I AM"

"there’s nothing like the rain to make you feel alone
there’s nothing like loneliness to make you long for home
there’s something in the weather that leaves us broken men
to hold you like a storm, I am"
Eric Peters, Scarce

The last time I saw the sun was somewhere around 5:45pm.


The sun was soon swallowed as the clouds rushed upon us like a gathering of wolves.

I pushed the pedal over 80 in an attempt to make it back before the pack fell upon me.

Five miles beyond where I shot this is one of the steepest hills in the area. I figured the rain would hit just as I got over it, so I sped up.


Above the hill and beneath the storm. Just a couple of weeks ago, I took a very pleasant walk with Robyn and our dogs. We went for 8 miles, for three and a half hours. The setting sun painted an blazing orange sky, and to the side hung the crescent moon like a claw mark in the night's cloak. In the distance ahead of us was a thunderhead that stretched across the horizon where the lightning danced a dazzling waltz.

Tonight wouldn't be so serene.

I was lucky to see even this much through the windshield. Yes, I am aware of the dangers of taking photos while driving through an intense storm. The rain fell in patterns like drumrolls, and the thunder drowned out the stereo.


I slowed to 20mph and found myself singing "How Great Thou Art"

"...I hear the rolling thunder, Thou power throughout
The Universe displayed..."

And I wondered if I would find a cliff to shelter myself in like when Augustus Toplady was inspired to write "Rock of Ages"

"...As I soar to worlds unknown, see Thee on Thine Judgement Throne
Rock of Ages cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee."



The view on the way back into town. I remembered last spring when I drove up to St. Louis for a meeting at the Francis Schaeffer institute and getting hammered by a storm then. It rained for an entire 24 hours straight, causing massive flooding throughout the area. I remember singing to myself:

"I know life is quite a ride,
There's someone at my side
For all the times
I can't drive.

When I feel like giving up, give me grace
Give me love, and it's all,
All I can do,
Is bring it back to you."
by Mike Schmid

Here we are back in the neighborhood. I was glad to be off the highway, and still sung to myself, glad to be off the highway.



It kept raining, but I didn't feel like sitting around all night, so what did I do? I ventured back into the storm. My dog Roxanne and I hiked out to Wet Weather Falls so I could take pictures. It eased up long enough for just to get out there.

"drenched in mercy and dripping holy tears

I’m dressed in kingly garments from my toes to my ears

it’s a holy embrace
it’s the feeling of grace
oh (it’s a holy embrace)
oh (it’s the feeling of grace)
oh (we cast all our doubts)
into the middle of the storm, I am"

Eric Peters: Scarce

No comments:

Post a Comment